BP #8: Athena

Stop. That was the last word that Athena ever heard. Stop and surrender! Yet she never did. They hurt her and broke her, the stole her youth. Yet she never broke. They threatened to hurt the ones she loved, to kill them, torture them, but she couldn’t break. She didn’t. Her courage, her willingness to give all of herself and never look back, that is why we are all still alive. The Last Resistance of 3015. A group that fights the dictator who conquered the world. Who sat upon a throne of blood and pain. Athena was his daughter, the very thing he believed would never betray him. Yet she did. And he killed her for it. That is why he fell, why his whole damned government did as well. The final straw for the people, the proof of what was already known. He possessed no compassion, or mercy, or pity, or love. Killing his own daughter proved that. Shooting her in the head after months of torture proved that. The resistance is now the democracy, the dictator is now a president, and the slavery is now the freedom. ”

“Mother..” The little girl looked up.

“Yes, Athena?”

“Who was this Athena?” The little girl would never truly understand. How she knew more than most about the days of the resistance. How while others knew stories, none truly knew so much about the evil man or his noble daughter. How she of all people was the wisest of all the story tellers.

“Athena, well, she was my mother. And I was her child. A child born of light, not darkness, for Athena was only that. Just as you are only that.” The girls eyes welled up with tears. And I smiled for the girl, for the future, and for the past I would never forget.

Authors Note: Dystopian futures can be very exciting topics to write about and was the cause of inspiration for this story. I am hoping to continue it and take a spin on what was revealed here. If that interests you, please comment bellow!

One Reply to “BP #8: Athena”

1. 2070910ainsley says: Reply

O M GOODNESS! Aly, its beautiful! I love it. Maybe you should write about Andramida considering the end of your piece. This is why I want songs for Christmas! Check mine out if you can and comment. I love your writing!